There are so many horror stories about disreputable or incompetent home
improvement contactors that television shows have been made about them.
Unless you want to be a guest on one of those programs, take steps to
ensure you find a good contractor.
Here are some tips that will help:
• Ask for references. Speak to the references.
• Get a detailed written estimate of the work to be done, and make
sure you understand all the terms and conditions.
• Be wary of contractors who insist on large payments upfront. The
payment plan should be reasonable and tied to work as completed.
• Ask if the contractor is a member of any professional associations.
• Don't deal with a contractor who offers you a no-tax, cash-only deal.
• Ask the contractor to get the appropriate permits before starting your
These tips won't guarantee you'll hire a reputable contractor, but they will
increase the chances that you do.
I have a HUGE list of fantastic resources- feel free to give me a call when you have a job that needs to get done RIGHT!